BACON, CHEESE & MUSHROOM STRATA
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
4 slices streaky bacon, chopped
200g button mushrooms, sliced
6 slices of your favourite Ploughmans Bakery loaf
1/3 cup milk
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup (100g) grated tasty Cheddar cheese
large handful of baby spinach leaves
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and cook the onion, bacon and mushrooms for 12-15 minutes until the onion is tender.
2. Cut the bread into cubes approximately 2cm in diameter.
3. In a bowl whisk the eggs and milk together, season with salt and pepper.
4. Grease the base and sides of a 2 litre capacity baking dish with butter.
5. Cover the base of the dish with bread and then add half the mushroom mixture a sprinkle of cheese and a scattering of spinach leaves. Continue to add ingredients finishing with cheese.
6. Pour over the egg and milk mixture and set aside while the oven heats to 180°C.
7. Bake the strata for 25 minutes or until golden and firm to the touch.
Serve warm with a green salad.